Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Plethora of Goings-On

Well I've arrived in the third trimester with this baby boy.  We just passed 29 weeks yesterday and it is starting to feel real since it is getting so close now.  Especially since we still have yet to do anything with his room, or look at a single piece of furniture, or car seat, etc.  I am trying not to freak out because there is still time to get everything done (we are planning to do painting and furniture hunting this weekend) and Cy keeps reassuring me that if the baby is early and we are not ready, we do have everything in the house we need to take care of a baby - it just happens to be pink.  But we can use any of it if we have to, until we are able to get something a little more gender appropriate.  We *may* have decided on a name finally, too.  I say "may" because it is actually the same name we had picked out a while back and then rejected when we found out that it was more popular of a name than we would like.  In the meantime though, we've thrown out about a gazillion other names and I think we've decided just to go with what we originally picked, since it's pretty much the only name we both liked.  And now that I've said all that, I'm not going to reveal what that name is: we are going to wait until the baby is born to tell anyone his name (it's bound to change again anyway).

Along with the third trimester came the dreaded glucose test.  I failed the in-office test as expected.  Since I was "borderline" with Gemma, I knew they were just going to end up making me do the diet and the finger pricks regardless of the outcome of the 3-hour blood draw.  I didn't really want to sit through the 3-hour blood draw again (it's so unpleasant) especially since I knew how it would turn out, so I told my doctor (well, the midwife - my doctor is out on bed rest until her scheduled C-section on Feb. 3 - I lost my doctor to maternity leave when I was pregnant with Gemma too!) I would just go ahead and start the diet and finger pricks.  I wasn't eating a lot of carbs to start with, and I cut back some more, but I think I'm probably still eating a bit more than what the doctor advised, and yet I'm struggling...because my sugars keep dropping too low.  Yesterday they were 76, 74, 67, and then I finally got it up to 88 after dinner.  After my post-lunch sugar of 67, I ended up feeling dizzy and awful most of yesterday due to low blood sugar (combined with the fact that I had exhausted myself doing home cleaning projects).  I guess maybe I will try to add back in a bit more carbs today and see if that helps.  I am not sure exactly what is going on or how to fix it but it does seem like I again tested as being diabetic in the office even though I'm more hypoglycemic than anything.

In other news, I've entered the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest again, this year with Lunatics and Lycanthropy.  I wanted to enter the YA sci-fi novel I wrote this past year for NaNoWriMo, but I have a lot of work I want to do on it and didn't have enough time to get it quite where I wanted before showing it to an audience.  I'm not taking the contest very seriously - I cobbled my entry together the day before the contest opened, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try.  I'll find out around Feb. 23 if my pitch made it through the first round.

Anyway...that's what's been going on with me of late.  Just juggling the tantrums of an almost two year old, getting ready for a new baby, and squeezing in a bit of writing here and there whenever I can.  I'm trying to get as many house projects and as much writing done as I can before the baby boy arrives, because I know I won't have a second to spare after that!

No comments: