Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Why I Hate My Genes

Unfortunately, my doctor's office called this afternoon to let me know that after being stuck like a human pincushion for 3+ hours yesterday morning, 2 of my 4 glucose tests were "slightly elevated." Due to me being "borderline," I am going to have to go on a special diabetic diet and begin monitoring my glucose levels via finger pricking.

Honestly, I know that I could stand to eat a bit healthier anyway so this is probably a good thing. (Sadly, this means no more Cadbury eggs.) And they did say that since I am just "borderline," if the diet is working, they will re-evaluate. With my family history, it's not really that surprising that this would be an issue - I was just hoping maybe I could avoid those particular pesky genes! Apparently this is not the case.

I was pretty bummed when I first got the phone call, but I am trying to have a positive attitude about it. First of all, I definitely want to do whatever is best for the baby. That is the big picture here. Also, since I do have the family history, it will be good for me to learn a specific diet to help control diabetes. Even if the problem does go away after I have the baby, it will still be good to have a good diet in place to keep me from developing diabetes in the future. At least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself over the next couple of months every time I have to prick my finger. . .

No comments: