Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Under the Weather (and not the snow)

This past week ended up being a rough week for the Shealy family. It started out fine - went to church on Sunday, felt pretty good. Then Monday morning I started feeling a little queasy. I felt progressively worse throughout the day. By dinnertime on Monday, I was feeling pretty bad. I thought maybe I was just a little dizzy from using the computer too much (I had been working on some noveling most of the day), so we took a (really cold) walk in hopes that the fresh air would help. It didn't. I was feeling so bad by the time we sat down to dinner that I couldn't eat anything at all.

I tried to just lie down and take it easy, but I just kept feeling worse. Around 7, I started vomiting uncontrollably. (It was way worse than this but I won't get into that because it was quite gross.) Anyway, I couldn't stop throwing up and I couldn't get anything down at all, not even water. Then I nearly passed out. . . a couple of times. Cy called my doctor's office and at first they were going to try to prescribe a nausea medicine, but then when I couldn't get anything down at all, and I was passing out on the floor, they said I should probably just come in to the hospital.

Fortunately, since we had gone through the ob/gyn on call, they were able to admit me pretty quickly through the ER. And when the lady at the front desk watched me stumbling to the bathroom right next to her little window and throw up repeatedly as soon as we got to the waiting room, she had them take me back before we even finished the paperwork. (I don't blame her.)

Anyway. . .they got me in quick and got an IV in me. They put a doppler on my stomach to monitor the baby. I nearly passed out again and there was a really scary moment when my drop in blood pressure made the baby's heart rate fall a bit. I had to wear an oxygen mask for a little while until she perked back up. But it wasn't long before she was busy trying to kick the doppler off my tummy though - she is way stronger than I am!

Long story short, I had some sort of really awful GI bug. I ended up having to spend about 24 hours in the hospital and have about 4 IV bags of fluid before I started getting hydrated again. Even after they released me, I was in bed for several more days and still wasn't able to eat anything solid for quite a while. Now, nearly a week later, I think I am finally starting to feel like myself again. . .well, my "pregnant self" again at least, which is certainly not the same as feeling "back to normal."

It was a really scary experience, but I am doing better and the baby was doing great the whole rest of the time. The o.b. nurses were great - it actually was good to get to meet some of them and see how great they are - that made me feel a bit better about the big scary upcoming birth. . .a little. The hope now is that I can stay healthy until the baby comes!

No comments: