Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Prayer of Confession

This morning while cleaning out some stuff in my bedroom, I found this prayer of confession that I had clipped from a bulletin quite a while back. It's a very good prayer, so I typed it up so that I wouldn't lose it and I could have it on hand to refer to in the future. I wanted to share it here:

O my Savior, help me
I am slow to learn, prone to forget and weak to climb.
I am in the foothills when I should be on the heights.
I am pained by my graceless heart,
my prayerless days,
my poverty of love,
my sloth in the heavenly race,
my sullied conscience,
my wasted hours,
my unspent opportunities.
I am blind while the light shines around me:
take the scales from my eyes,
grind to dust my heart of unbelief.
Make it my highest joy to study you,
meditate on you,
gaze on you,
sit, like Mary, at your feet,
lean, like John, on your breast,
appeal, like Peter, to your love,
count, like Paul, all things as loss for Jesus' sake.
I believe, help my unbelief.

No comments: