Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

37 Weeks

TMI alert: I am going to share all the details of my appointment yesterday, so if you don't want to hear about fluid, dilation, effacement, etc., read no further!

Yesterday I went to the ob for my 37 week checkup (I will officially be 37 weeks tomorrow, according to them). I was pleasantly surprised when I did not have to argue with them about anything! Overall, it was a really good visit. We started with an ultrasound to measure the baby's growth. The baby measured perfect size for 37 weeks. The doctor finally concluded yesterday that the reason I have been measuring a little small with the tape measure is because the baby wedges herself so far over in one side of my tummy that she never gets the baby's full body in the measurement. Like yesterday, the doctor got out the tape measure, put it on my stomach, and said, "Wow, the entire right side of your uterus is empty." She had to move over to the left side, where the entire bulk of the baby was stuffed against my left hip.

They estimated the baby's weight at 6 pounds, 11 ounces. While in the ultrasound, we actually got to see the baby practicing her breathing reflex, so they said she is definitely going to be a strong breather. They also pointed out her hair again on the ultrasound.

One other interesting thing the ultrasound showed is that I apparently I have a ton of fluid. My doctor said that she needed to warn me that when my water broke, it was going to be a ton of fluid. I think her exact word was "impressive." She said that the normal amount is between 5-20 (not sure what measurement), and that mine was 18. So at least I will know for sure when/if it happens! (Just hoping it will not be while out in public, even though I know the odds of that are low.)

When my doctor did the internal, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that I am already 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced. (As a side note, my doctor is hilarious. She said: "I can feel your baby's head. Isn't that wild?") I know that this doesn't necessarily mean the baby will be here before her due date, but it was great to know that I am making progress toward labor. I was expecting nothing. So it could be three more weeks, or it could be today. We will see. . .

The only negative thing about my appointment yesterday was that I did test positive for carrying Group B Strep. They usually just treat this with penicillin via IV during labor. I am allergic to penicillin. I was very reassured to find out that my doctor was already on top of the situation. When she told me the test was positive, she also said that they were aware of my allergy and were already figuring out what antibiotic to give me instead and that they should have that sorted out in the next day or so. I was still a little freaked out, but this is just another one of those things that I have no control over. Cy and I prayed together about it last night, and we will continue praying that the baby will be protected from any sort of infection and that she will be perfectly healthy. It is out of our hands, and we felt confident that the doctor will handle it well.

Well, I think that is all the TMI I have for today. Hopefully we will be posting pictures of our new baby girl on this blog very soon. She is definitely on her way sometime in the next few weeks!

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

That is an encouraging visit!! i'm glad it went so well - and you're definitely making good progress towards labor. I'd say not to worry about the antibiotics - since my water was broken for so long, I had to get antibiotics, too, and I'm also allergic to penicillin. It really wasn't a big deal. How exciting that we'll get to meet her before too long!!

Carissa said...

Thanks for the reassurance on the antibiotics - your comments are always very encouraging!