Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Possibly I Maybe Might Be in Early Labor Perhaps? It's Unclear. . .

Went to the OB again this morning. I will be 39 weeks tomorrow according to them. I started having what I think were contractions sometime yesterday evening and had them off and on (irregularly) all night last night. Was still having some when I woke up this morning. Also some nausea, some back pain, and a lot of cramping in my tummy. I say that I think they were contractions because having never done this before, I'm not entirely sure and I'm so afraid of being that person who shows up at the hospital thinking they're in labor when nothing at all is happening that I am probably tending to err on the side of thinking I'm not having contractions when I actually am. It definitely kept feeling like my whole tummy got really tight and there was a lot of pressure and this seemed to be accompanied with waves of cramps, so I'm going with it.

Anyway, it turned out at the doctor that I am about 3 cm dilated so I guess something must be going on. I have been at about 1 cm for the past two weeks, so I guess this is good news even though I could just hang out at 3 cm from here on out and have to be induced. Who knows. Since I left the doctor, I've still been having contractions (I think) and they seem to be about every 15 minutes or so (maybe). I am hoping that this is early labor and that the contractions will just keep coming and start getting closer and stronger throughout the day so that we can meet that little girl soon! I am however, expecting more likely that they will just stop all together and May 13 will come and go with no baby.

While we were in the doctor's office we did discuss the plan for if the baby is late. The doctor said she wouldn't want to let me go past 41 weeks, but she said that since I'm diabetic (also unclear), I could have a choice and I could just go ahead today and schedule an induction for next week on my due date or the day after. I have not really heard good things about induction and I would like the baby to come on her own when she is ready (even if I question their due date), so I told her I would just plan on coming in next week as usual and then we could schedule for another week out. The doctor said she thinks I will probably go into labor on my own, possibly this week, and didn't think we would need to worry about it anyway. Again, though, who knows.

Anyway. . .I am hoping that this is the beginning and that the baby will soon be making her appearance. But if not, we are praying that she does at least come soon enough that I won't have to be induced. We will see what happens. . .it would be great to have her by Mother's Day. :)

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Sounds like you are making some good progress!! Hopefully we'll be hearing the good news soon....

Keep us posted!