Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Sunday, March 28, 2010

There's a Whole Lot More Where This Came From

We have had our baby's room pretty much done for a while now, but I've had no idea what to do with the walls. It's amazing how much empty wall space is in there, and how noticeable it is now that everything else is done. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that we are planning to put white wooden letters spelling her name on one wall, but we are not telling anyone her name until she is born and has been officially named, so we can't do that wall yet.

Then I suddenly had an idea. The baby has several onesies that have super cute little pink baby animals on them. I thought it would be fantastic if I could find framed pictures with those same animals on them. Of course I could not. Then I thought about it, and realized that I have lots of time on my hands, and that I used to be a pretty decent artist, although I haven't sketched anything in years. But how hard could it be to draw little pink cartoon animals? Not too hard, as it turns out.

I ended up drawing four animals: giraffe, turtle, hippo, and elephant. I don't paint, so I just colored them with colored pencils (took me like an hour to finish the shading on the elephant's trunk), which is not the greatest, most professional look, but I figured it kind of went with the theme of a kid's room anyway. Overall, I was pretty happy with how they turned out. We picked out some white picture frames for them. I only wish I had thought to draw a pink liger, since it's pretty much my favorite animal and it's bred for its skills in magic. . .

No comments: