Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Friday, March 5, 2010

31.5 Week Check-Up

I had another doctor's appointment this morning. My regular doctor is scheduled to have her baby today, so I saw Dr. Gregory instead, whom I also really liked. It was another really good check-up. I measured 30 cm., which the doctor said was good for being at 31.5 weeks. The baby's heartbeat was in the 130s and the 140s. She is not head down yet, (which I already had guessed, because she has been jabbing her hard head into the right side of my ribs all week) but she still has plenty of time and room to turn.

Now for an update on the gestational diabetes fun. I brought in my little notebook with my numbers and she said that everything looked great (I have not had any readings that were over, and most of them have been well under the limit). We found out some more info. that no one had told us yet - apparently if the numbers start spiking consistently (which could happen, as hormones continue to increase as my pregnancy progresses), I would have to go on medication and be monitored much more closely (including more frequent doctor appointments). And if my sugar levels got too out of control even with medication, I would have to start on insulin. Also, apparently if I am taking medication/insulin, they would also have to induce me at a certain point. This was all pretty scary and overwhelming, and kind of got me down again. But the good news was that they don't think this will probably happen with me, and hopefully my diet will continue to keep everything under control.

Because they are treating me for gestational diabetes, I also will have to have an ultrasound at my next visit to check how the baby is growing. As I mentioned, I am measuring fine, so mostly this will just be a nice chance for us to get another look at her. So overall, it was a really good check-up. We just need lots of prayers that the diet will continue to manage my sugar levels so we don't have to deal with any complications like medication, insulin, preeclampsia (apparently I am now at higher risk for this as well), a big baby, c-section, or inducing early.

I will post some new pictures soon. We also plan to finish the baby's room this weekend, so expect a follow-up post with pictures of that in the next couple of days!

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Hang in there, Carissa. You're doing great and what's best for the baby. In lots of ways, it's better for the doctors to be slightly over cautious about the diabetes just to make sure we give little baby girl shealy the best chance to be born without problems. And as long as your sugars stay good, your chances for having any of those problems are much, much lower.

anyway...I love your nursery - it looks great! Seriously, you two are probably ahead of us in the nursery prep department. We've got quite a bit to do on it tomorrow.