Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Nautical Hobo Bag

I saw this really cute nautical hobo bag on Forever 21's website. 

Unfortunately I have made the mistake of ordering a bag from their site before and having it be just insanely HUGE.  I like big bags (and I cannot lie) as much as the next person, but I'm talking I could have fit like three of Gemma in said bag.  Also I love Forever 21's stuff but honestly it is extremely cheap (meaning the quality) so I decided not to pay $23 for a low quality bag when I could make it myself (and make it whatever size I wanted) for less than $10.

I hate using patterns so I found this great hobo bag tutorial online.  I used the pattern and tutorial for the basic outline and instructions, then branched out on my own for the straps so that I could copy the idea of the Forever 21 bag.  Here is what I ended up with:


I really like the size and style of the bag.  I think overall it turned out pretty great especially since I was basically just piecing it together based on a picture I'd seen on the internet.  The only thing I would change (and I may still redo it if I feel like it, but I am feeling pretty lazy these days, so I doubt it) is that I might make the red strap a bit longer and a bit narrower.  And the best part?  I think I paid about $6 total for the supplies and it took me maybe 2 hours to make.

I might get really crazy and try to make myself a matching pair of flat using this tutorial I came across on pinterest.  Who knows?  Could be awesome.

No comments: