Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

9 Months Old

Gemma turned 9 months old yesterday!  Hard to believe she has now been out of me as long as she was inside of me!

Unfortunately we had to reschedule her 9 month checkup and the earliest they could get her in was March 15 so it will be a 10 month checkup instead.  However, she seems to be doing great.  She is crawling like crazy, pulling up, is starting to grasp object permanence.  She can wave and likes to play games with other people involving mimicking the sounds and movements they make.  She is doing great with self-feeding - 9 out of 10 pieces make it into her mouth and actually get eaten these days.  She has not really grasped the concept of the sippy cup yet and mostly just throws it around and chews on it (sometimes she even chews on the wrong end), so that is something to work on further.


 I hate that we will not have a record of her stats at precisely 9 months, but such is life.  I guess I will roll with it and just be excited about her 10 month stats instead.  The only thing I really wish we could have talked to the pediatrician about is feeding.  I would really like to have a specific answer on what Gemma should be eating, how much of it, and how often.  (Anyone with a 9 month old, please feel free to share with me what your child is eating, how much, and how often!)  I'm sure what I am currently doing with her is fine - I'm just being that uptight, first-time mom who worries about doing everything exactly right.  I'm sure I'll get over that (I already have to some extent)!

 Anyway...I think we love sweet little Gemma more and more every day.  She is SUCH a good baby - she sleeps a minimum of 16 hours per 24 hour period (not exaggerating - it's often more), pretty much never cries, eats well, hasn't ever really been sick, and she is so happy all the time and has such a sweet little personality.  She is also very observant and intelligent and will stare at something until she figures it out.  She is so good in fact, that it makes us afraid to have another one, because who could possibly measure up when Gemma has set the bar so high? ;)

2 comments:

Kelly Shealy said...

Soooooo cute! Well. if you want to know what my 9 month old is eating here is a breakdown of yesterday's food: formula (lots), half a thing of peach yogurt, several spoonfuls of pureed spinach and peas (that was all he could manage to get in his mouth, as he insisted on using the spoon himself), and for dinner... a tortilla chip. Do you feel better about what Gemma is eating yet? Cause my guess is it's better than what Liam is getting!

Emilie said...

She is so precious! And as far as setting the bar too high . . . that's how we felt after Joseph too. Jacob is different from Joseph but not in a "he doesn't meet the standard set" sort of way. Just different but equally lovable! Jacob's meals are different every day. Some days he eats a lot and other days turns his nose up at food. I just go with it. I feel he knows if he's hungry or not. I'm sure Gemma is getting what she needs. :)