Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Introducing Ethan Cyrus Shealy!

Our little man is finally here!  He made his entrance into our world on Thursday, April 12 and we were so excited to finally meet him!  Here is his story:

When I went to the doctor for my 39 week appointment, I had not made any more progress.  I was still at 1-2 cm. and the baby was still so high up that the doctor ordered another ultrasound to check his position.  We went ahead and scheduled an induction for Thursday, April 12 (two days after my due date) since my doctor was going to be on call that day and night.  Her plan was for me to come in for a checkup on Wednesday the 11th after which she would admit me to the hospital and get me started on some Cervadil overnight and then start Pitocin on Thursday morning.

I was kind of worried about being induced at only 1 cm.  I did not want to have to endure a really long labor with a higher possibility of a C-section at the end.  So I did a lot of praying and a lot of walking and squatting and bouncing on the exercise ball and anything else I could think of.  Something must have worked, because when I went in for my appointment on the 11th I was 4.5 cm. dilated.  The doctor sent me home to get a good night's sleep in my own bed and told me to be at the hospital by 6 am the next morning to get started on some Pitocin.

When I came in, the baby was still really high so the doctor did not want to break my water for fear of problems with the cord.  So she started me on Pitocin and came back to check on me around noon.  I got my epidural right away and slept for a couple of hours.  At noon, I was at 6 cm. but the baby still had not moved down at all so she still could not break my water.  I was starting to get worried.  What if I got all the way to 10 centimeters and he was still really high?  I had only had to push about 20 minutes with Gemma and I was not excited about the thought of pushing for hours. 

Around 4:30, I was starting to think I was going to be laboring through the night.  I started feeling nauseous and lightheaded (possibly because all I had eaten all day was popsicles) and was just getting more and more scared of what was looking to be a longer labor than I had expected.  The nurse decided to go ahead and check me again and I was 9 cm.  I asked her to help me roll to my other side and as she flipped me the pressure broke my water.  Baby was lower but still fairly high, so she had me do a few practice pushes to see if it would even move him.  It seemed to be working, so she called the doctor. 

The doctor showed up and I started pushing.  On my 3rd round of pushing, the doctor suddenly told me to stop.  I was like, Did she really just tell me to stop?  The baby was out and he had the cord wrapped three times around his neck.  I started to panic, but the doctor took care of it immediately.  She hooked her fingers under the cord, clamped it, and went ahead and cut it.  Then they rushed him over to the warmer to make sure everything was okay.

After they made sure he was all right, they handed me my sweet baby boy.  He was 7 lbs., 7 oz. and 20.5 inches long, and perfect.  :)  And even though I had given birth once already, the second time was just as amazing.  We already love our little man SO much!

And now without further ado, here he is.  Ethan Cyrus Shealy, born April 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm:

1 comment:

Debra Taylor said...

Congratulations Cy and Carissa! What a beautiful boy. Welcome to the world, Ethan.