Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Monday, March 19, 2012

Almost Full Term!

Well, I barely made it in to my OB appointment this past Friday.  Thursday night around 2am I woke up feeling terrible and end up vomiting off and on for the rest of the night.  I had caught the lovely virus that Gemma had earlier in the week.  I was so nauseous and shaky that I couldn't get up and wasn't sure if I could make it in to the doctor.  However I was starting to worry that I might need an IV with some fluids because I literally couldn't even get anything down at all, even water.  Then I remembered I still had some of my magical Zofran left from the first trimester.  I choked one down and about an hour later I was still feeling terrible but was feeling well enough to start sipping some fluids and throw on some clothes and head to the doctor.  I had called ahead to tell the office what was going on and they said for me to come on in and if needed, they could do an IV in the office itself rather than the hospital.

As it turns out, I had good news all around at the OB on Friday despite how awful I was feeling.  Since the Zofran had helped significantly, the doctor said to keeping taking it for a bit to fend off the nausea and then slowly rehydrate with some gatorade rather than straight water (yay - no IV!).  My blood work had come back and was showing that my iron was back up to 11 (still borderline, but it means that I can just continue to treat the anemia with the supplement and diet rather than having to have an infusion - yay!).  When she did my internal, I was 1 cm. dilated and 50% effaced (not that that means I'll go into labor anytime soon, but at least something is happening!) and the baby was head down.  (I think all of this is due in part to the fact that I have practically walked my legs off since the last appointment in hopes of encouraging baby & body to better prepare themselves for labor!) I still have an ultrasound this Friday to make sure that he's staying head down since he's still quite mobile despite the lack of room.

And tomorrow he'll officially be full-term.  It won't hurt my feelings if he wants to come on out anytime now.  I'm ready.  Let's do this!

No comments: