Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Festive Kindle Case

I have been sewing tons of stuff for other people lately as Christmas gifts.  (I will post lots of pictures after Christmas so that I don't spoil any surprises!)  I have the majority of my Christmas sewing done way sooner than I expected, so yesterday I decided to take a break from sewing other people presents and make myself a little something.  I had just gotten a new case for my iPhone yesterday with a Christmas tree on it and I suddenly thought: It would be really cool if I had a festive Christmas case for my Kindle too.  And then I realized that I could easily make myself one.  I knew I had some scraps of a couple different kinds of Christmas fabric in the stash my mom had given me a few months back, so I rounded up a really cute red fabric with a pattern of Christmas cookies and candy all over it.  Then I remembered that I had randomly bought a fat quarter of red and green striped fabric a while back for no reason either.  I decided this would make cute lining for my case. 

Then I started scouring the internet for a free tutorial on how to make a Kindle case.  In case you are wondering, there are TONS of these available in a wide assortment of styles.  I decided on this one and really liked it, although I was not thrilled with the instructions for how to finish the top edge of the inside pocket, so if I make another one I will have to figure out a better way to do it than the way suggested by the tutorial.

Anyway, I whipped it up in about 20 or 30 minutes yesterday while Gemma was glued to her new Baby Beethoven video.  And except for the aforementioned top edge of the inside pocket, I was very pleased with how it turned out.  (I might also cut the lining a bit smaller than the outer fabric if I made it again, as the lining tends to bunch up a bit inside.) It is so cute and very festive:



No comments: