Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How Fast Does This Little Tree Twirl?

Today I experienced yet another phase in my ongoing, epic battle with vertigo. I haven't mentioned it in a while, but it's still never gone away; it was merely pushed to the sidelines while I dealt with all the ups and downs that pregnancy threw my way. I knew that there wasn't much anyone could do for me while I was pregnant, but now, at 5 months postpartum, I figured that it was a good time to go back to another doctor. I'm not terribly hopeful that they will be able to fix my problem completely, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try. So I made an appointment at the MUSC ENT clinic.

This morning, I went in for a battery of ENG tests. When I called to make my appointment, the assistant I spoke to was shocked to learn that I had never yet undergone these tests. They are apparently pretty standard for diagnosing balance disorders, yet I have never had them although I have been suffering from vertigo for over a year. If nothing else, I at least felt that the MUSC folks were much more on top of things than the last ENT I saw (who did no tests and diagnosed me on the basis that I exhibited "classic textbook symptoms" and then simply referred me to someone else).

I was really dreading the testing this morning, as they warned me that they would be trying to aggravate my symptoms and that I would quite possibly leave feeling worse than when I arrived. After being dizzy for over a year, I was not excited about someone making me feel worse. (They even told me not to eat this morning as I was likely to vomit. Good times.)

For the first test, I was strapped into a harness and had to stand on a moving platform. The platform tilted different ways, at times the background scenery moved, and I had to do this alternating between having my eyes closed and having them open. One time I fell and we had to stop the test and start that part over. I had a very hard time keeping my balance and felt a little bit queasy. After that, they did a hearing test, which was fine.

Then it was time for the not-so-fun part: the rotational chair. I was strapped into a chair wearing weird goggles with a camera in them to track my eye movements. Then I was spun around various ways at various speeds. Then the chair stopped spinning, but for me, the room kept on spinning. I managed not to throw up. After that, I was laid back onto a table (still wearing the sweet headgear) and water was sprayed into each of my ears for 20 seconds. This made the room spin even worse than the spinning chair.

After that I was finally done. The audiologist said the tests were showing that I definitely have a vestibular problem (no kidding) but it will be up to the ENT doctor to make a definite diagnosis and decide on treatment. I will see him on Oct. 25. Right now, it is looking like I might have vestibular migraines, mal de debarquement syndrome (which I have suspected from the cruise I went on, and which is incurable), or possibly some neurological vestibular vision issue of which I can't remember the actual name. The treatment is most likely going to be to send me back to physical therapy, and possibly a special migraine diet too if the diagnosis is vestibular migraines.

Even though I still don't feel like I made much progress toward feeling better at this point, I was extremely relieved that I made it through the tests without regressing. I even felt well enough afterward to reward myself with an apple bagel and pumpkin spice coffee from Bruegger's. I have felt a little queasy and shaky the rest of the day, but much better than I expected.

Anyway. . .that is the latest update in my ongoing battle to debark my invisible, personal cruise ship. We would really appreciate prayers that this doctor will make an accurate diagnosis and that any treatment will be effective. It has been a long year and a half, and although I've learned to cope, the constant dizziness is very frustrating to live with (especially as it fluctuates in intensity) and there are occasional meltdowns.

No comments: