Ethan and Gemma

Ethan and Gemma

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Shocks. . .Pegs. . .LUCKY!

On Saturday, Cy left early with his dad and they came back with a new bicycle for me - a surprise gift from Frank & Andrea! I had been wanting a bicyle for a while - I despise running and was trying to come up with other ways to work out that were not so. . .well, basically just that they weren't running, since I hate it. So I had asked for a bike for Christmas. Imagine my surprise to get the bike early, and not as a Christmas gift!

We got everything all adjusted and I took it for a little spin around the cul-de-sac. Then I ran in the house and changed into some more comfortable clothes (jeans are not particularly great for bicycle riding), and I went for what probably amounted to a 5-mile bicycle ride. It was fantastic - I haven't been on a bike in years, so I didn't realize how much I would enjoy it.

I was pretty sore the next day, but I went for a ride again last night (Monday) and felt a little better. Last night was a great ride too (even though it was cold) because it was twilight and everyone had their Christmas lights and decorations on in full force. I really enjoyed just breezing through the neighborhood taking in all the holiday sights (and getting some exercise at the same time).
Apparently I almost had a mishap though - Cy was out running at the same time I was riding and he told me later that when I rounded the corner at the traffic circle, a dog started frantically chasing me, and then a kid started frantically chasing the dog. Cy was concerned because the dog was going quite fast, and he was afraid the dog was going to get a piece of my back tire and take me down. I, on the other hand, was completely oblivious. I had my headphones on and was just enjoying the ride - I never even saw the dog or the kid. And fortunately, I was not knocked down from behind unexpectedly by a random dog. All in all, a successful bike ride.

1 comment:

Kelly Shealy said...

Oh my, I am glad you avoided the dog too! That could have been a disaster - dogs seem to really like to go after runners and cyclists! Let me know if you want to go for a ride sometime, I haven't had my bike out in ages - it would be fun!